Monday, February 13, 2006

Time Passes Slowly

Sunday was a lazy day. Dani and I walked to the Irish bar for lunch. The intent was to go shopping - sheets, food, books - but it was too hot and we only bought books and the Brokeback Mountain DVD. If you haven't heard of the movie, you must be living under a rock. I bet it will get a ton of Oscars. It's based on a short story byAnnie Proulx and I highly recommend it.

The waiter in the Irish bar was an elderly American who I had seen before. I thought he was a customer but he came and took our order. He was hard of hearing and we had to repeat ourselves several times - raising the decibels each time. At the end I thanked him in the usual manner - "thanks a lot". He replied with "No one has called me that in a long time" and smiled. I am not sure but I think he heard "thanks sport". First it gave me the giggles and then I thought of how rude that must have sounded and was mortified - it didn't last though.

During the week I wear proper long sleeved shirts, as one is supposed but that tourists never do. Yesterday I decided to flout that particular convention and wore a tank top. I was going to be a tourist for the day. The amount of attention I got was significantly elevated and I even got whooped from a passing motodop. Dani was tickled pink, and although I found it amusing I put away my strappy tops - only to be worn in the apartment.

While enjoying Dodgeball I had to scream several times down the phone. The pizza delivery man could not find the house. It took an hour and a half arrive and we reckoned that it would have solidified by that time but it was edible. Drumline finished off the evening and I retired to a mosquito filled room and watched the lizards play on the ceiling.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: