Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ballad of the hand

It wasn't a great start to the day when the fan blew my bedroom door shut and it locked itself with the keys inside. Let me describe the layout of the apartment. My bedroom has a window looking on to the living room. However, there are bars between the two rooms, as there are on all the windows.

Luckily I was already dressed and the only thing I was missing were shoes. Then I decided to MacGyver my way out of that mess. I went to the roof where I found a long cane, to which I attached a wire hanger. Thus I was all prepared to recuperate my keys. However, something was living in the cane and stung/bit me and my hand swelled up like never before. As a result I was less deft at manovering the cane and the keys dropped on the floor along with the hanger. The plan was to drop them on the bed so I could grab the blankets and drag them over to me through the bars.

Plan B was to grab another hanger and swipe at the keys from under the door but a sock got in the way and that endeavour was also unsuccessful. My hand was feeling quite numb at this point so I banged on the door cursing. I ended up wearing the purple flipflops to work. I trotted along to the dispensary and saw the doc and got hydrocortisone and antihistimines. My hand is fine now after the ointment but my door is still locked.

So I phoned locksmith after locksmith, a grand total of three, and either they only sell locks or don't speak any of the same languages as me. So as a final desperate act, I phoned the real estate agent and he said he'd have someone out at at 12.30. At 13.30 I was still waiting. When I called him back, there was much "Sorry Miss" and promised me a locksmith at 17.00. I'll inform you tomorrow dear readers whether I sleep on the sofa tonight.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting article. Emergency locksmiths are playing very important role. You can call at just about any hour or any place to have a locksmith sent over that can replace, pick, repair, or remove, a lock or other safety device covered in an emergency locksmiths job description. It's fairly common for people to accidentally lock themselves out of their own house or car. Beyond that, emergency locksmith can also open things such as a safe. Given proof of ownership and other proper credentials that prove you are the owner of course.