Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Zaorla Stardust

Walking to work this morning, I thought about how fragrant the air was. It is true that there are piles of rotting rubbish too but you get used to that very quickly and there was a scent of blooming flowers in the air. The sun was not out and there was a fresh breeze. It was very pleasant. Walking back to work after lunch this afternoon was a completely different kettle of fish. The sun was beating down and the humidity was sky high. I was bathed in sweat (which attracts the mossies) which is a pretty picture!

The dust is extravagantly present. It burns your throat and blinds you. Many people here wear surgical masks as they sit side-saddle on mopeds. Guys don't sit side-saddle and neither do chicken-shit female Westerners. I may have to buy me a mask like that, although it’s the dust in my eyes that bothers me more. They say that it is one of the dustiest cities in South East Asia and I believe them.

Night is lovely. Breezes and lack of sun! But one has to be careful, because of the poverty and crime. If someone tries to take your bag here, you let them. Many carry guns. And so I won’t get to chase after someone with my hockey stick as in times past. Just let it go, they say. I have a full security briefing tomorrow!

After playing tag with my real estate agent for over 10 days he finally came up trumps with a great apartment for only $260. Better still my landlord can speak English. Its close to work as well. Of course, security has to check it out because Cambodia is in phase one security alert.

Interesting article on Cambodia, malaria, and the state of the kingdom.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: