Monday, January 23, 2006

Tell me why I don't like Mondays

They spelt my name wrong on my ID card. OK so for once it is my surname as opposed to Soarla or Sarla or Serla or Sirla or Saorle or any other variations on same. Its annoying though - how hard is it to get it right. And it seems so petty to ask them to correct it.

Anyway, I had my job description explanation today. They are treating me as a communications officer not intern. It seems like there will not be a lot of supervision but I have to fumble along. My supervisor told me that as the expert I would be able to work alone - OK then that means that I'm in charge of all information and communication for my organisation in Cambodia. My duties are

* Assist in the promotion of volunteerism
* Produce and distribute newsletter, brochures etc
* Work on website
* Set up international GIPA list serv or discussion forum
* Organise and catalogue resource centre
* Update resource centre
* Correspondence including making boilerplates
* Distribute promo brochures appropriately
* Cooperate with other Comm officer for advocacy
* Do other stuff too

A little overwhelmed here - probably due to the heat and humidity :-) also I have the sniffles

Rereading this makes me sound like a grouch - there are great things here too - noodles and cashew nuts for breakfast, air con, and the people around me. Plus I found a place to live that security has approved (provided I change the locks and get a fire extinguisher) so hopefully i'll move in soon. Its only $310 a month and that includes a garden and cable TV! Paying $25 a month for a garden seems a little odd. After all they couldn't remove it if I no longer wanted it.

Also to contradict myself further, that job description seems fine. I am officially no longer overwhelmed (at least for today!). I just reread it and I cannot believe that I thought that was excessive. Nevertheless I shall not delete because it was true at one point in time (a few minutes ago).

I leave you for today - sneezing

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: