Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Open letter to Cosmo

Dear Ms White,

I stopped reading your magazine a few years ago because I was tired of reading the same article every couple of months about how to please your man. As a feminist, I found it boring and relatively insipid. I would search long and hard for any article that empowered young women to advance their career or that advocated equality in the workplace. Instead I was subjected to "how to have an affair with your boss" and "how to keep the perfect man". I think you do women a grave disservice by pandering to tired stereotypes.

Oh well I would have gladly kept my opinions out of your letter pages if I had not opened up by computer today and seen this vile nasty piece of trash on "grey rape". There is nothing grey about

This one time about nine years ago I got locked out of my house and went home with some vaguely smarmy hair-product using type from my ex-boyfriend's frat... when he, after about a half hour of fooling around, put on a condom I was like, "Whooooah, what are you doing?" But I'd had two forties and I kept drifting in and out of consciousness -- my tolerance, obviously, wasn't what it is today -- and I woke up to find him sticking it in. I'd said 'no' a bunch of times and when I came to I just froze, stopped, turned over and slept. (Cosmo US edition)

This writer claims that this is grey rape; the writer is in denial. She may feel she needs to deny it because she doesn't feel traumatised. Whether or not she is traumatised has no bearing on the fact that it was rape. It's a simple equation, regardless of the force or lack thereof used, no consent = rape.

You are the editor of a global magazine. How responsible do you honestly think this is? You are propagating the idea that, is a women is drunk then it's not really rape; when she says "no", it's not really rape; when she is sleeping it's not really rape. Do you believe that? Don't you think that this is rape is completely unacceptable in every situation? If there is no consent the man is a rapist. It is that simple.

There is no grey rape. Date rape is rape. Marital rape is rape. Why are you seeking to diminish the seriousness of a crime? Your publication would do well to retract that article and print an apology because otherwise you may be responsible for people believing your misinformation. What happens when a man uses the made up term "grey rape" to defend his actions? What happens when some idiot, who actually believed your article, is passing judgement or is on a jury? What happens to women who go to the police and get mocked by the term "grey rape" when they are trying to report a crime?

This article, from what I can read, has just made the world more unsafe for women.

Sincerely

MR

Others have addressed this issue too:
Jezebel
Shakespeare's Sister
Feministing

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: