Thursday, August 02, 2007

One of the top ten beaches in Asia...

Allegedly... Ochheuteal, in Sihanoukville, is one of the top ten beaches in Asia. I find this curious, and if correct, then I'm out of here.

8. OCCHEUTEAL, CAMBODIA

Sihanoukville (aka Kompong Som) on Cambodia's pretty south coast is home to five fine beaches, even though the best one, Sokha, is reserved for a private hotel's guests. Sokha's neighbour, Occheuteal Beach, comes a close second with its long stretch of white sand lined with pine trees. Popular with Cambodians and travellers alike, Occheuteal's far northern end has become a backpacker hangout.

People go to Occheuteal because let's face it, there isn't a lot of choice. There first time I went I was not impressed but the Serendipity part of the beach is pleasant enough. It's nice to sit the the shade of a battered umbrella and get your toes tugged every five minutes with "madam you buy one. No she buy from me. No me". Don't worry children, I won't buy from any of you regardless of what you say or story you tell.

What I especially like about Occheuteal is that the water is so polluted that it feels like constantly getting pricked by pins all over your skin. Showering makes you feel better but the shower is in your guest house and far too far to walk for just a shower so you lie in the shade scratching and drinking your diet Coke. You have to down it in one because if you put your can down on the lounger beside you it becomes the property of the can collectors. They pour out the rest of your drink and make off with the can.

Aside from these admittedly minor inconveniences (except for the water - that's a biggie), Occheuteal is pleasant enough but one of the top ten... I think not.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: