Friday, March 23, 2007

Sidesaddling and modesty

Talking to one of the Cambodian women I work with, I finally asked why women sit "sidesaddle" on motorbikes in this country. I thought it must have something to do with perceived modesty and I was right, for the most part. Apparently girls who straddle are consider bad and are mocked by society. My colleague told me how much she wanted to straddle - makes her feel safer and she resents the smears straddling would provoke but reputation is everything. Being considered a whore is not a good look here, especially where marriages are commonly arranged without the woman's consent.

(photo nicked from Di - thanks girl!)

I have never ridden sidesaddle because I live in the 21st century and because it looks bloody dangerous. Well, according to our security expert, someone is ten times more likely to have an accident or fall off when sitting sidesaddle so it is bloody dangerous. The sheer number of accidents in this country would, I think, encourage a person to adapt as many safety protocols as possible, as long as the "death before dishonour" mentality can be preserved. It is more important for woman to show false modesty than to be safe.

Nobody wears helmets either.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: