Monday, March 19, 2007

Organs for sale - come to India

BBC news did a report, available here (text) and here (vid), on Tsunami victims. They have yet to be compensated by the government for their losses and their debts are mounting. As a result, women are selling their kidneys. They are selling their organs to ensure that their children have enough the eat.

"The doctor told me I will have breathing problems and back pain. If I lift heavy objects I will be breathless," Lata says, "but I agreed to it because I have debts and I have kids. Who will feed my children?"

They are promised $2000 for a kidney which will keep the family for around 3 years, but are more often cheated by organ dealers. What happens when the money runs out? Will the women start selling their eyes? Yet there is no mention of men selling organs. I wonder why.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: