Friday, March 23, 2007

Raindrops keep falling on my head

In Cambodia in March/April the weather is normally hot and humid - almost unbearably. Over the past week its been, not cool, but certainly cooler. I even wore a long sleeved shirt to work.

On Tuesday there was an almighty downpour. The heavens opened, much like last year. It was a relief. The temperature had been climbing steadily and it was nice to get a reprieve. I finished watching an episode of House - love that series - and was exhausted. It was very late. Brushed my teeth, headed to bed. I woke up about half an hour later because I could feel water on my feet. The roof was dripping in two places. I am a tad overprotective when it comes to my computer so I packed it up and left it downstairs even though the drips were no where near my desk. I put a towel on the floor and when back to bed.

Wednesday I notified the landlady and had a non-verbal conversation with my housekeeper regarding the leaky roof. It's fun miming a leaky roof in a conservative culture!

Thursday/ Yesterday I had a work dinner as my boss is leaving for pastures greener, and so got back late. It was lashing rain again - the rains here feel like I should gather up two of every animal. I was knackered and headed up to bed, only to find that the two drips turned into a veritable deluge. Thank God for my over protectiveness because my laptop would not have survived. The bed was sodden. The floor was a lake. I spent the next hour cleaning out my dressing room/spare bedroom so as to have somewhere to sleep - clear the bed, change sheets, spray insecticide, wait for insecticide to be ventilated and eventually hit the hay around 2am.

This morning when I left for work, I left the extended family in my flat. Who knows what I'll find when I get home. BBC is predicting rain so I hope something is fixed soon or else I'm going to sleep in B's house while he's out of the country!

This may all stem from a crisis in Thailand. In the north there is an environmental disaster of smog caused by a dry winter and forest fires. It's causing respiratory distress in Chiang Mai. As a result, the government has been trying to induce rain for a while now. Perhaps the results of their efforts are dripping onto Cambodia.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: