Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Saving face

It's back to being hot with a touch of monsoon here today. It is pleasant basking in the cool air con. Life is better here when you're coming back from the gym at 7.10 am on the back of a motorbike with the wind drying your hair. I have just enought time to go home and have breakfast before heading to work.

I walk to work which is normal as I live two blocks from the office. In Cambodia no one walks because it would imply that they cannot afford a bicycle or motorbike. Saving face is a big deal here which is why you cannot ever lose your temper no matter how provoked you are by extremely ... rude ... people. In fact I was having a chat about global politics with people in the office and one of the girls said that Tony Blair would now resign. When I asked why, she merely said that he was losing face because he was so unpopular. I explained that most politicians will hold onto power with their fingernails despite their rating in the polls. It explains why defamation is such a serious issue here. May you all save face today!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: