Thursday, May 11, 2006

Public holidays

In Cambodia there are between 55 and 60 public holidays a year. Of course as UN staff we don't observe these holidays. Still that is a lot of holidays to have. The majority of people have more than one job to supplement their monthly earnings of $20, on which it is not possible to live. Corruption is the single biggest issue in this country. If that got sorted out, the country would boom much like Vietnam.

However, it's not happening.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Saorla!

Did a huge clearout of my e-mail account and found your travel blog address so decided to take a gander - didn't realise I had it! Am in the process of getting up to date on your travels and adventures right now so this is just a quick hello to ya. Am interested to know who you met from our school days??
In middle of buying a house at the moment - yes I have turned into one of the those responsible people I hate!
Will write again soon missuz!
Sarah B. XX

Mór Rígan said...

Hey Sarah,
Good to hear from you. The girl I met was Clare Nash. You may remember her from such announcements as "Would Clare Nash please report to the principal's office".

Great to hear your buying a house. Lets have a drink when I visit in June/July. I assume you haven't changed your number.

Talk soon
Saorlaxxx