Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Racism and visas

I am livid. My friend has acute appendicitis and needs immediate medical evacuation to Bangkok. My friend is from a country that needs a visa to enter Thailand. She is lying on a trolley in Cambodia, while her husband rushes around town trying to get her an emergency visa so she can have an operation. You would think that they could make an exception.

My friend is African. The last time she went to Bangkok, she had to submit to a special medical exam only for Africans. I think she is being discriminated against because she is black. And there is nothing I can do, but hope that she can get her operation in time.

I wouldn't trust anyone to open someone up in Cambodia. The healthcare standards are just not high enough. At least the hosiptal in Bangkok is modern and clean - it's where rich foreigners have elective procedures. I hope she gets that visa.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: