Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sick leave or leave off

I nearly made my Cambodian colleague cry last week.

He was sick but would not take time off, despite vomiting every few minutes and talking and breathing like a smoker on 60 a day. We were having a staff meeting and after a particular bout of hacking and gagging I told him that he was being irresponsible and that he would make us sick too. I had just attended a bird flu seminar so I had all the info on respiratory infectious diseases. I told him he should go home and rest - that's what sick leave is for.

After my words, he said, almost raising his voice, that I didn't appreciate his dedication and commitment to his work and that the office would fall apart without him. His lower lip wobbled and he fled from the room.

Cruel ain't I!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: