Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Of critters and other ancedotes

Well Blogger was down yesterday so posting was not possible. Great weekend in terms of my social life - dinners, market visits, and my friend D had a housewarming party on Sunday evening which was most enjoyable.

D had quite an episode with a visitor to her bathroom. In the middle of the night she went to the bathroom. When she turned on the light, not two inches from her foot, was a foot long black scorpion. That's quite a surprise when you have just woken up. After she told me I started considering whether I should start turning on the light when I go to the bathroom at night. I have never felt inclined to before. After all with the darkness surrounding you, you can pretend to be asleep and so tell yourself that you will actually get your necessary eight hours. Perhaps I should reconsider. I am not overly concerned because my bedroom is on the third floor. I think scorpions would have a hard time climbing up three flights just to scare me.

The weather has, of course, been hot and humid averaging at 35 degrees with 74% humidity. I love my air con so much that I may have to start taking it out to dinner and sending it flowers. Last night after work I went to the Himawari Hotel for a swim. It was a most enjoyable experience - did laps, messed around, and sat in the jacuzzi - lovely!

If anyone has a spare $14 000 lying around, for that price you can build a rural school in Cambodia. $14 000 will build a three to five-room school, and support teaching and supply materials for two years (to be matched by an international fund.) An additional contribution of $1,700 will fund the installation of solar panels that provide energy to operate a computer with future Internet access. See http://www.ratanakiri.com/ for more info.

Ciao for now

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: